How can HPC help me customize a house plan?
It's easy, and you can design your own home in five simple steps.
Locate the house plan design that most closely matches your needs using our Advanced Search.
Click on "Get Started", located beneath the images on an individual house plan detail page and use the form to describe the changes you wish to make. You can even upload a sketch of the changes you have in mind for your custom house plan.
Your modification request will be sent directly to a House Plan Company designer to evaluate and provide a free modification quote. You will receive your quote within two business days.
Once you have received your quote, and are ready to proceed, we'll help you work with the House Plan Company designer to create your custom house plan.
Congratulations! Your customized house plan is ready for delivery.
Prefer to design your own home with a local design professional? It's easy! Purchase the CAD Master or PDF Master version of the plan and you are on your way!
What types of house plan modifications can The House Plan Company help me with?
From simple changes, to significant ones, we can help you customize any design. If you're not sure where your changes fall, you can use our helpful guide below.
Simple House Plan Customizations
The following changes are easy to incorporate into the existing house plan design. Working with a House Plan Company designer to modify the plans can help ensure that your changes are carried out through construction. In some building jurisdictions these changes are allowed without modifying the plans. It is important to check with your contractor or building department. These changes may include:
- Changing exterior materials
- Resizing or moving a window or door in a non-load bearing wall
- Changing interior walls that are non-load bearing
- Changing appliance locations
- Adjusting kitchen cabinet configuration
- Updating electrical layouts
- Removing a fireplace
Moderate House Plan Customizations
The following changes are more significant and will require modifications to the construction documents. These changes include:
- Adding or removing a room
- Changing room configurations
- A different foundation
- Adding or relocating a fireplace
- Changing exterior wall framing type
- Garage entry orientation changes
Complex House Plan Customizations
The following house plan changes can significantly alter the building's footprint, and can result in major house plan customizations. These changes may include:
- Expanding or contracting the overall size of the house
- Moving room locations that affect the load-bearing walls
- Adding a daylight basement (with room configurations)
- Adding or altering a second floor