Frequently Asked Questions

About the Plans

Can I obtain a building permit with your plans? Is there anything else I will need to do?

Each building jurisdiction is different and you will need to confirm with your building department what the requirements are for your project. Construction documents are subject to local codes and requirements which may require a structural engineer review the lateral and seismic conditions. This is a site specific review and best provided by a local, registered professional. However if you need assistance with this we can help facilitate the review. Additional documentation your building department may require includes (but is not limited to): a site plan, truss engineering or energy review.

Do the house plans show plumbing, electrical and HVAC layouts?

You will want to confirm on the house plan detail page “What’s in the Plans” section of your chosen design.  Plan may show a suggested electrical, plumbing and HVAC placements, however, these components are site specific to the conditions in the area the home is built. Each of these contractors will put together the needed information for these systems based upon your lot and/or product selections.

Do the plans come with material lists?

If a material list is available on a house plan you will find it listed in the available options to purchase on that plan’s detail page. If a plan you have chosen does not offer a material list, the designer may be able to assist us in obtaining one. Please call us at 800-634-0123 or send us an email using the Contact Us form.

Are the plans stamped by an engineer?

No. You will need to contact an engineer in your area, or we can arrange to have the house plans engineered for you.

Can I build your house plans if I don’t live in the US?

Of course you can. You can save on international shipping rates (which can be quite expensive) and order the PDF or Electronic Files of your chosen house plan and the PLANS NOW formats are downloadable from the website. Both PDF and Electronic File formats can be emailed to you. We can help facilitate a metric conversion of your selected plan as well.

How many times can I build from my set of blueprints?

House Plan licenses are permission for the construction of a single structure (single-build license). Some home plan designers and architects offer additional build licenses and multi-use licenses available with the purchase of PDF or CAD Master packages.